This accident took place in connection with a work operation which involved draining hot water under pressure at the west Norwegian facility.
Equinor is the operator for Mongstad.
Two people had ascended scaffolding to carry out the work when a powerful escape of hot water and steam occurred. One person fell from the scaffolding and suffered light injuries.
The main objective of the investigation is to identify the causes of the incident and possible lessons to be learnt, and to share this information with the industry.
In conducting its investigation, the PSA will
- carefully review the course of events
- uncover and describe the actual and potential consequences of the incident
- identify direct and underlying causes
- apply necessary enforcement powers to correct possible regulatory breachesmake public its findings
- contribute to experience transfer to and learning by other players in the petroleum sector.
The investigation will be summed up in report published at psa.no.