This incident occurred in connection with running up the process plant after a shutdown for a turnaround. The gas leak activated several detectors. Leak rate and volume are unknown at the moment.
Equinor is operator for the Statfjord field.
The PSA has decided to launch its own investigation of this incident. The main objectives are to identify the causes of the incident and possible lessons to be learnt, and to share this information with the industry.
In conducting its investigation, the PSA will
- clarify the course of events and the scope of the incident
- assess the actual and potential consequences of the incident
- assess direct and underlying causes
- identify nonconformities and improvement points related to the regulations
- apply necessary enforcement powers to correct possible regulatory breaches
- make public its findings
- contribute to experience transfer to and learning by other players in the petroleum sector.
The investigation will be summed up in report published at psa.no.