Breaking out in a transformer room, the fire was extinguished but produced smoke and led to a production shutdown. No personal injuries have been reported as a result of the incident.
There were 118 people on Åsgard B when the fire broke out, and 56 of these were transferred to another facility by search and rescue (SAR) helicopter.
Equinor is operator for the Åsgard field.
The police have been notified.
A serious view of the incident is taken by the PSA, which has decided to launch an investigation.
The main objectives of the investigation are to identify the causes of the incident and possible lessons learnt, and to share this information with the industry.
In conducting its investigation, the PSA will
- clarify the course of events and the scope of the incident
- assess its actual and potential consequences
- assess its direct and underlying causes
- identify nonconformities and improvement points related to the regulations
- apply necessary enforcement powers to correct possible regulatory breaches
- make public its findings
- contribute to experience transfer to and learning by other players in the petroleum sector.
The investigation will be summed up in report published at psa.no.