This discharge is understood to have occurred in connection with starting up production from the Tordis field, which is tied back to Gullfaks C.
Oil was observed on the sea after production had got under way. Gullfaks operator Equinor has estimated the size of the spill at 17.5 cubic metres of oil.
The PSA regards the incident on Gullfaks C as serious and has initiated an investigation.
The main objective of this investigation is to identify the causes of the incident and possible lessons to be learnt, and to share this information with the industry.
In conducting its investigation, the PSA will
- clarify the course of events and the scope of the incident
- assess the actual and potential consequences of the incident
- assess direct and underlying causes
- identify nonconformities and improvement points related to the regulations
- apply necessary enforcement powers to correct possible regulatory breaches
- make public its findings
- contribute to experience transfer to and learning by other players in the petroleum sector.
The investigation will be summed up in a report published at psa.no.