This incident occurred in a compressor house linked to the methanol factory at the Tjeldbergodden complex in Møre og Romsdal county. The plant was shut down and personnel evacuated.
Equinor is the operator at Tjeldbergodden.
No personal injuries have been reported in connection with the incident.
A serious view is taken of this incident by the PSA, and an investigation team drawn from its specialist staff is now starting work.
The main objective of the investigation is to identify the causes of the incident and possible lessons to be learnt, and to share this information with the industry.
In addition, the team will investigate whether parallels exist with earlier incidents.
In conducting its investigation, the PSA will
- review the course of events and the scope of the incident
- assess the actual and potential consequences of the incident
- identify direct and underlying causes
- identify nonconformities and improvement points related to the regulations
- apply necessary enforcement powers to correct possible regulatory breaches
- make public its findings
- contribute to experience transfer to and learning by other players in the petroleum sector.
The investigation will be summed up in a report published at psa.no.