This incident occurred in connection with work in a switchboard room on the platform, when a short circuit occurred with subsequent smoke development. Two people were exposed to smoke and had to be airlifted to hospital for medical treatment.
Equinor is the operator for the Statfjord field.
The PSA regards the incident as serious, prompting it to launch an investigation. A team of its specialists is now starting this work.
The main objective of the investigation is to identify the causes of the incident and possible lessons to be learnt, and to share this information with the industry.
In conducting its investigation, the PSA will
- carefully review the course of events
- uncover and describe the actual and potential consequences of the incident
- identify direct and underlying causes
- apply necessary enforcement powers to correct possible regulatory breaches
- make public its findings
- contribute to experience transfer to and learning by other players in the petroleum sector.
The investigation will be summed up in a report published at psa.no.