The audit was conducted on 30 and 31 May 2023.
The objective of the audit was to confirm that Gassco, with Equinor as the TSP, is meeting the requirements for robust emergency preparedness, capacity and competence, including requirements for, and performance of, training and exercises. A further objective was to ensure that condition monitoring and maintenance of emergency preparedness equipment and safety signage at Kårstø are provided in accordance with the regulatory requirements.
During the audit, five improvement points were identified, concerning:
- Co-training with contractors – ISO and others – , including training and exercises for rescue at height and rescue from tanks, is not undertaken systematically
- First aid competence of contractors’ personnel – unclear requirements and routines
- Safety signage in the factory and outdoor area was worn and illegible
- Procedure for the maintenance of firefighters’ clothing – maintenance, proofing, repair, replacement and inspection
- Signage and marking of evacuation routes to mustering station – few signs showing direction and way to mustering stations and exit gates
What happens now?
We have asked Gassco for their assessment of the improvement points identified. The reply deadline is set at 25 August 2023.