Aker BP was notified of the order on 8 December 2021.
The order was issued on 16 December 2021.
The audit was conducted on 25 and 26 November 2021.
The objective of the audit was to verify Aker BP's planning process against its capacity for execution offshore, in respect of the selected well design and the use of formation clay as a well barrier element.
Six non-conformities were identified, concerning:
- Lack of tested independent well barriers during drilling
- Deficient compliance with internal requirements for qualification of formation clay (creeping shale) as a well barrier element
- Deficient qualification of short intervals of the formation clay
- Deficient follow-up of decision support and decision-making criteria for operational changes
- Deficient notification in potential hazard and accident situations
- Deficient follow-up during monitoring of the well prognoses during drilling
In addition, three improvement points were identified, concerning:
- Inadequate opportunities of follow-up of well barriers during the production phase
- Inadequate decision support and decision-making criteria for choice of BOP
- Inadequate follow-up of training and exercises in well control
What happens next?
We have asked Aker BP to report on how the non-conformities will be addressed. We have also requested the company’s assessment of the improvement points observed. The reply deadline is set at 25 February 2022.