From 7 to 14 April 2021, we carried out an audit of the management of health risks in the working environment and arrangements for genuine employee participation at Kårstø.
The objective of the audit was to monitor how the operating company Gassco, Equinor in its role as technical service provider (TSP), and Equinor's suppliers Kaefer and Aibel managed health risks in the working environment for personnel at the facility. We looked at:
- How Equinor, Kaefer and Aibel ensured a fully safe working environment for personnel in respect of two selected activities:
- Preparatory work for the Åsgard turnaround performed by Kaefer
- Turnaround preparatory work relating to the valve project performed by Aibel
- How Equinor, Kaefer and Aibel managed HSE risks associated with changes due to the coronavirus situation
- Equinor's follow-up of previous findings within the working environment domain at the facility
In addition, within the audit’s risk topic, we assessed the facilitation of genuine employee participation at the facility.
Five non-conformities and one improvement point were identified by the audit.
The non-conformities concerned:
- Deficient assessment of and information on ergonomic risk in the planning and execution of work
- Analyses of the working environment
- Register of at-risk workers
- Requisite time for safety delegates to perform safety work
- Safety delegate training
The improvement point concerned Equinor's provision of information to the supplier companies about incidents that could entail risk to their personnel.
What happens now?
We have asked Gassco to report on how the non-conformities will be addressed and for the company's assessment of the improvement point observed. The deadline for feedback has been set at 20 July 2021.