The audit was carried out from April 2019 to January 2020.
The objective of the audit was to verify the robustness of processes linked to the qualification of new technology, equipment and systems, as well as the identification and addressing of risk associated with the planned modification of the drilling installation and relocation of the drillers’ cabin at Valhall IP. This includes planning processes and implementation of the changes in accordance with the authorities’ requirements within HSE, including emergency preparedness and cybersecurity, in addition to internal requirements that give specificity to the regulations.
The Valhall IP Performinator project will entail the following planned changes at Valhall IP:
- Robotic automation of pipe handling on the drill floor and pipe deck (5 electrically operated robots)
- Relocation of the drillers’ cabin to the office module on the other side of the rig
- Camera surveillance of the drill floor by remote control from the drillers’ cabin
- Robotic barriers for automated/electrical enclosure of drill floor using sensors to avoid human presence in the red zone
- Reduction in the number of manual lifts, reduced risk of injury to personnel on the drill floor and pipe deck, as well as reduced number of lifting and crane operations.
Follow-up of previous audits
During the audit, we also looked at how Aker BP has addressed non-conformities that we identified in previous audits of the company.
From an audit in 2019, we note that non-conformities regarding the "system of barrier management for Valhall" were not corrected in accordance with the plans submitted to us.
No new non-conformities were detected during the audit.
Three improvement points were identified in connection with:
- Decision support and decision-making criteria for sub-deliveries in the project
- Preparation of necessary documentation for barrier functions and safety-critical equipment
- Documentation of criteria for qualification of new technology and equipment
What happens next?
We have asked Aker BP for their assessment of the improvement points observed.