In weeks 6 and 8 of 2019, we carried out an audit of Vår Energi’s management of major accident risk and barriers in the operation of Balder FPU.
Point Resources (now Vår Energi) has applied for consent for a life extension to 2030 for Balder. This audit will form part of the basis for processing the application.
The objective of the audit was to assess how Vår Energi is ensuring compliance with the authorities’ and its own requirements in relation to the management of major accident risk and barriers at Balder.
Non-conformities were identified relating to:
- Management of major accident risk and barriers
- Follow-up of barriers, barrier deteriorations and compensatory measures
- Barrier strategy and performance standards
- Management of change
- Process safety
- Ignition source control
- Fire resistance
- Temporary equipment and installations
- Maintenance programme
- Deck gratings made from composites in evacuation routes
In addition, improvement points were identified relating to:
- Planning and prioritisation
What happens now?
Vår Energi has been given a deadline of 20 June 2019 to report on how the non-conformities and improvement points will be addressed.