Between 4 and 7 March 2019, we carried out an audit of emergency preparedness and logistics on board Scarabeo 8.
The objective of the audit was to verify Saipem's management of emergency preparedness and materials handling on board Scarabeo 8.
During the audit, serious breaches of the regulations were detected and we are consequently issuing Saipem with an order.
The audit revealed that previous non-conformities had not been rectified, within both emergency preparedness and logistics.
In addition, the audit detected the following new non-conformities:
- System for training of the emergency preparedness organisation
- System for the follow-up of findings from previous investigations and audits
- MOB preparedness, including use of personal protective equipment in MOB operations
- Outside mustering stations at lifeboats, and lifeboats
- Evacuation routes
- Sound level on bridge and emergency preparedness room during incidents
- Maintenance of lifting facilities – Enterprise of Competence
- Management system – cranes and lifting
- Maintenance of steel wire ropes – offshore cranes
- Use of specially designed lifting appliances in the drilling area (SDLA)
- Technical conditions
The audit also detected improvement points relating to:
- Readiness of fire stations
- Lifting forum
What happens now?
On the basis of our observations in the audit, we have now issued Saipem with the following order:
Pursuant to the Framework Regulations, Section 69 concerning administrative decisions, with reference to Section 6 concerning the management of health, safety and the environment, Section 22 concerning the handling of non-conformities, and the Activities Regulations, Section 23 concerning training and drills, we order Saipem, with reference to Chapter 5.1.1 and 5.1.2 of the report, to do the following:
1. Review Saipem’s management system for the follow-up of
a) training and the emergency preparedness organisation offshore in order to ensure necessary improvements and adherence to the system for following up the competence of the individual member of the emergency preparedness organisation.
b) non-conformities and ensure necessary improvements and adherence to the system for compliance with regulatory requirements.
2. Undertake an analysis to identify proximate and underlying causes of why
our findings were not identified and corrected earlier.
The deadline for complying with the order is 27 May 2019. We are to be notified once the order has been complied with.