From 24 to 29 May 2019, we carried out an audit of materials handling at Kårstø. The audit covered materials handling, cranes and lifting, scaffolding and access techniques, for which we followed up the management of technical, operational and administrative factors. This year, we have also placed a special focus on factors linked to falling objects, since this is a common challenge across the petroleum industry. In the audit, we also wanted to verify that previously identified non-conformities within this audit area had been addressed in compliance with the company’s feedback.
The objective of the audit was to:
- Follow up on undesirable incidents from 2018 and 2019 within cranes and lifting, as well as work at height
- Follow up on undesirable incidents involving falling objects
- Monitor the company's control and management of materials handling, technical condition of lifting equipment and lifting operations at Kårstø. Scaffolding, work at height and access techniques were also followed up
- Monitor that Gassco/Equinor’s management of maintenance complied with the company’s and the authorities’ requirements. We concentrated our efforts on the company's improvement activities relating to maintenance management of relevant equipment
Two non-conformities from the audit in 2014 had not been satisfactorily followed up. See chapter 4.2 of the audit report.
We also made observations of a technical, operational and administrative nature.
Six regulatory non-conformities were identified:
- Defective system/programme for training and practice
- Inadequate routine for alerting and notifying the supervisory authorities
- Missing documentation of alternative norms for access techniques
- Inadequate access for maintenance
- Defective safety marking of mobile crane
- Deficiencies in the use of scaffolding materials as lifting equipment
Four improvement points were identified in connection with:
- Use of scaffolding
- Procedure for pulling cavern pumps
- System for securing competence – Nordic Crane
- Management of health, safety and the environment – harmonisation between onshore facilities
What happens now?
We have asked Gassco to report on how the non-conformities will be addressed. We have also asked the company for an assessment of the improvement points we observed.
The deadline for feedback is set at 26 August 2019.