§ 14 Ventilation and indoor climate
The ventilation in indoor and outdoor areas shall cover the need for air change and provide acceptable air quality. The ventilation shall also be designed so that smoke from fires can be controlled, and so that hazardous and flammable gases cannot penetrate closed non-rated areas.
The indoor climate shall be adapted to the individual room as regards air needs, drafts, humidity and temperature. The indoor air shall be free of hazardous pollution.
Section last changed: 01 January 2011
To fulfil the requirement regarding ventilation as mentioned in the first subsection, the standards NS-EN ISO 15138, NORSOK H-003, S-001 Chapter 17.4 and NORSOK S-002 Chapter 7.5 and 7.7 should be used, with the following addition:
- when stipulating the need for air exchange, account should be taken of both the risk of accumulation of hazardous and flammable gases and the need for weather protection, cf. Section 22.
For mobile facilities that are not production facilities, and that are registered in a national ship register, DNVGL-OS-D101 Chapter 2, Paragraph 4 can be used as an alternative.
The requirements related to indoor climate as mentioned in the second subsection, apply to living quarters and indoor work areas, including chambers for manned underwater operations. The requirements entail that account is taken of the fact that air quality is affected by construction materials, furniture and fittings, personnel, activities and processes, cleaning and maintenance. In order to fulfil these requirements, the following should be used:
- the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority's guidelines on climate and air quality in the workplace,
- the Norwegian Institute of Public Health - Recommended professional standards for indoor climate,
- NORSOK S-002 Chapter 7.5 and 7.7,
- NORSOK U-100 Chapters 5.2.2 and 5.2.3.
The Norwegian Shipowners' Association Norm for physical-chemical working environment on mobile facilities built before 1 August 1995 and operating on the Norwegian shelf (in Norwegian only) can be used as an alternative to NORSOK S-002 for the areas covered by the norm.