We publish concents of the PSA (see right-hand column).
Operators must obtain the consent of the authorities in connection with important milestones in order to be able to continue their activities. The system has been established to ensure that
- appropriate status points are established in the operator's activities
- the authorities control central decision points in the operator's activities.
Consents are granted in writing, clearly indicating the activity to which they apply.
The operator must facilitate the process so that the authorities can carry out proper consideration of the matter.
Status of the consent
Applications for consent represent a binding document with regard to the operator's fulfillment of regulatory requirements that fall under the spheres of responsibility of the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway, the Norwegian Climate and Pollution Agency and the Norwegian Board of Health.
The issuing of a consent expresses the authorities' confidence that the operator can carry out the activity within the framework of the regulations and in accordance with the information provided in the application for consent.
The contents of an application for consent are binding and are used as a basis for the authorities' supervision activities after the consent has been granted. If changes are to be implemented in the activities, the operator must inform the authorities as soon as possible if the changes entail a departure from the assumptions in the consent. In such case, the authorities may issue specific orders or demand that the operator make a new application for consent.
How the authorities handle applications for consent
Depending on their content, applications for consent will be processed by both the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway, the Norwegian Climate and Pollution Agency and the Norwegian Board of Health. In each individual case, the authorities will determine the level of detail required in the processing, based in part on
- experience with the specific operator
- experience with the contractors expected to be involved in the activity
- experience with the relevant project / installation / vessel
- special safety and working environment challenges linked to the activities covered under the application for consent, including the environmental vulnerability of the area
- criticality of the timing for implementing the activity.
The authorities may conduct verifications after a consent has been granted in order to confirm that the activity is being carried out in accordance with the current regulations and the obligations in the application for consent.